2020 will be the start of an exciting new adventure in Downtown Appleton. The Community Public Market will take place inside the Fox Cities Exhibition Center on three Saturdays: February 8, March 21, and April 18. From 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., the space will be transformed to present an inclusive and collaborative community event that brings together a sampling of all the great things in Downtown Appleton.
This free community event will create an environment similar to the outdoor summer farm market on College Avenue, where community neighbors come together and offer various products and services. The vibe of the event will feel familiar but will bring many new discoveries.
As attendees walk the Community Public Market, they will stroll down themed streets to enjoy a wide variety of live music, retail shopping, tasty food, and family-friendly activities:
- Tasty Trail features ready-to-eat food and delicious finds from local eateries including ACOCA Coffee, Aunty’s Café, Stone Arch Brewpub, Spegash, and Los Tres.
- Retail Road features your favorite locally-owned businesses that are the heartbeat to Downtown Appleton including Lillians of Appleton, Blue Moon Emporium, Eco Candle Co., and Scooter G’s Sports.
- Wellness Walkway features products and services for mental and physical well-being including Float Light Float Center, NAMI Fox Valley, Appleton YMCA, and SOAR Fox Cities.
- Artisan Alley features handcrafted and artisan products from vendors like Silver Ware by Darlene, Stella Blu Bohemian Boutique, Freckles Garden, and Queen Bee.
- Play & Learn Lane features family-fun and life-long learning activities with Pinot’s Palette, Paper Discovery Center, Hearthstone Historic House Museum, and Appleton Public Library.
- Farm Market Square features fresh fruits and vegetables, meats and dairy, breads and baked goods from farm market vendor favorites like Produce with Purpose, Arthur Bay Cheese, Voyageurs Sourdough, Salmon Season, and Soup & Dipity.
“The new Community Public Market event is a complete mash up of all that makes Downtown Appleton One Great Place,” says Lynn Schemm, Appleton Downtown Inc.’s marketing director. “It brings together small business retail shops from downtown, favorite coffee shops and eateries, local attractions with activities for the family to enjoy, live music and entertainment, and local farm market produce and art vendors. This new event will bring not only the vendors from the community-favorite Downtown Appleton Farm Market but will also have a familiar summer vibe of walking the Avenue.”
In addition to about 100 vendors to shop with, the Community Public Market will feature an entertainment stage with live music, dance performances, zumba and yoga classes and so much more. Plus, family-friendly activities like bouncy houses, make and take art projects, face painting and more will excite the entire family. The Community Public Market will pose as a great way to break cabin-fever over the winter months and explore Downtown Appleton all under one roof.
“You can make an entire day out of it,” says Schemm. “You can get some shopping done, get your weekly fresh produce and baked goods, listen to some music, make an art project, grab a bite to eat…all in the same building”
Just like the Downtown Appleton Farm Market, WIC/EBT/SNAP Cards will be accepted at many vendors in Farm Market Square. Signs are posted at participating vendors. Another farm market activity that will continue at the Community Public Market is “Kids Market”. Local children will have booth space to sell their handcrafted items teaching them entrepreneur skills and providing them with experience at a young age.
The Community Public Market is supported by Community Foundation for the Fox Valley Region, Tundraland, AZCO, Inc., City of Appleton, ThedaCare, WHBY, KISS FM, WAPL, and Nature’s Pathways.
Follow Appleton Downtown on Facebook for updates on vendors, live entertainment, and more exciting programming that will be featured at each of the three dates. Click here for more details!