Appleton Downtown Inc. is celebrating 25 years serving downtown in 2016! We thought we would share some of the great changes in our downtown over these last 25 years. Can you think of any more great changes in Downtown Appleton in the past 25 years? Please share your ideas by leaving us a comment.
1. Oneida St. closes and City Center is built and continues to provide an anchor Downtown.
2. College Avenue reconstruction updates the look of Downtown in 2002.
3. College Avenue Bridge reconstructed to provide a fabulous gateway from the east.
4. Fox Cities Performing Arts Center opens its doors in 2002 and proceeds to host a record number of WI Broadway premiers!
5. Warch Campus Center built overlooking the Fox River in 2009.
6. Appleton Art Center remodeled, renamed, and reopened as Trout Museum of Art in 2010.
7. Building For Kids Children’s Museum opens 1991.
8. Giving Hope Fundraiser held the first week of May annually since 2007 providing an opportunity to make a difference by giving while you shop, play or dine Downtown! 9. Houdini Plaza remodeled in 2014.
10. Fox Cities Building For Arts fitted with nightly electric light show.
11. Annual Mile of Music festival started in 2013 and continues to grow.
12. Annual Death By Chocolate tasting event held every Valentine’s Day since 2004.
13. Indoor Farm Market moved to City Center in 2006 and continues weekly Nov.-May.
14. Annual Soup Walk tasting event held every October since 2009.
15. Ladies Day Downtown, a full day of fashion, food & fun, held annually in the spring since 2009.
16. Mini Golf on the Town provides local golf fun on Masters Weekend annually since 2013
17. Building For Kids Children’s Museum remodeled and expanded providing easier access from the ground floor.
18. Holiday Fun Fest and Thrivent Avenue of Ice provide family entertainment in mid-December since 2014.
19. Heid Music Summer Concerts held on Thursday nights in summer since 2006.
20. Lunchtime Live Concert Series held during summer lunch hours on Thursdays since 2012.
21. Downtown Appleton's art museum, galleries, studios and stores open their doors to allow the public to experience their favorite or brand-new form of art at Art On The Town Series held May through September since 2006.
22. Appleton wins people’s choice One Great Place award in 2014.
23. Downtown’s connection to the Riverfront continues to increase and is aided by the development of River Heath which opened in 2012.
24. The Landing at Eagle Flats opens in 2014 providing income affordable housing.
25. Richmond Terrace, Lawrence Court, Fox River Mills Apartments offer housing alternatives conveniently located Downtown and on the Riverfront providing city amenities within walking proximity.
What would you add to this list of great changes in the last 25 years in our downtown?